Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Yellow Soup

So, it's soup, and the broth is yellow. We used to call it "Free the Chicken Soup" but somehow that name didn't really roll off the tongue. The idea is to make chicken noodle style soup. Over the years, we've strayed from striving for authenticity and moved toward simplicity.

My mom taught me that if you cook the noodles separately, and store the leftovers separately, they don't get soggy and drink up all the broth. Sometimes I follow her advice - other times I embrace the fat-noodle way. (Don't be reading anything dirty into that.) Separate is faster, because you can start the water before chopping the vegetables. Start plenty of water, so you can have some ready hot for the broth, too.

I saute an onion, with some carrots and celery and oil, add potatoes and about 2 quarts of boiling water. Cook for about 10 minutes, add a cube of bullion, lots of pepper, and a half to a full cup of nutritional yeast. Maybe a can of white beans or a handful of chopped fresh parsley. Cook until the veggies are spoon tender. Adding extra salt makes it taste salty. I mean, makes it taste more comfortingly like childhood.

Slurp...

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Mmmm...this is exactly the type of thing I have been craving. If I have a good non-queasy span of time this weekend, I might try it! Thanks so much for posting these, Rosie! xo

12/08/2006 6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm...YUM! Can't wait to try this! gale

12/11/2006 7:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home