Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Autumn Quinoa Pilaf with Sauteed Greens


This pilaf recipe is so intriguing! It has a lot of sweetness to it, but some savory as well. It is hearty but not heavy, and it's perfect for a fall evening. Pretty easy to make too. I have adapted the recipe from when I originally got it online, but it apparently came from a book called Wholesome Harvest by Carol Gelles.

I ended up steaming the collards instead of sauteeing them, and we topped them off with some of last night's tahini sauce.

Autumn Quinoa Pilaf

3/4 c quinoa
2 T vegan margarine
3/4 c finely chopped onion or celery
1 T fresh ginger, minced
3/4 c orange juice
1 c water
2 T liquid sweetener (I used brown rice syrup)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t coriander, ground (I was out of this)
1/4 t cardamom, ground
1/8 t nutmeg, ground (I was out of this, too!)
2 c sweet potato, diced (or 1 c sweet potato, 1 c butternut squash)
1 1/2 c cooked/canned butter beans, drained and rinsed (I used Great Northern)
1/4 c cranberries, chopped
1/4 c pine nuts, toasted

Thoroughly rinse the quinoa by placing it in a large bowl and filling the bowl with cold water. Drain the quinoa and repeat the rinsing and draining 4 more times; set aside.

Melt the margarine in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion (or celery) and ginger, and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened. Stir in the orange juice, water, sweetener, salt, coriander, cardamom, and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Stir in the sweet potato and squash; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 7 minutes. Stir in the beans and quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Stir in the cranberries; simmer, covered, 5 minutes longer. Stir in toasted pine nuts. Serve.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! I know quinoa is one of the healthiest grains available but I seldom cook with it because I haven't found many recipes that look appetizing. This one sure does. Thanks for providing not only this recipe but all those contained in your Blog.

11/03/2006 11:28 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks! Quinoa is such a superfood--it has all the essental amino acids, making it a complete protein. It's high in protein, calcium and iron. I also like to eat it with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper. Simple but delicious.

11/03/2006 4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home