Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Friday, November 03, 2006

"Cheesy" Lasagna with Tossed Salad and Bread


I adapted this recipe from this one. I found it required much less sauce and spinach than the recipe called for. I also was out of nutmeg so I skipped that part. I liked the addition of vegan cream cheese to the "ricotta" part--it did make it cheesier. All in all, I liked it! I melted some Follow Your Heart vegan mozzarella on top. One of the best parts about making lasagna is all the leftovers...I think it will last us at least 2 more meals. Berkeley managed to pick the spinach and carrots out (of course) but he loved the noodles and filling.


"Cheesy" Lasagna
2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce (or a homemade batch, if you have time)
1-16 oz bag of spinach leaves (I think you only need about half this amount)
1/2 lb. carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup veggie broth
1 lb. herbed tofu (I just used extra firm tofu, mashed up, and threw in some oregano, basil, and salt)
8 oz. vegan cream cheese
2 T lemon juice
12 lasagna noodles, cooked (I used more--probably 16)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Shredded vegan mozzarella

Directions:

Slice carrots and steam, set aside. Add some olive oil to a large skillet, place over medium-high heat until hot. Add parsley and garlic, saute for 1 minute.. Add carrots and veggie broth; simmer uncovered for 5 min. Add tofu, vegan cream cheese, and lemon juice; stir well. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until cream cheese melts and blends. Stir in nutritional yeast. Remove from heat; keep warm.

Place 4 lasagna noodles in bottom of 11x7 baking dish. spread carrot mixture over top, place 4 noodles on top of that and spread pasta sauce and spinach on top of those, repeat process until all noodles are used up. Top with pasta sauce. Cover and bake 15 min. at 375 degrees. Uncover, add shredded "cheese" to the top, if desired. and bake an additional 20-30 min. until it is thoroughly heated.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rosie Q said...

I love lasagna! This sounds terrific - I never thought of cooking the tofu into a cheezy mush! I did learn about adding carrots to tomato based things, though, from this chef I worked for who taught me his Italian mother's tomato sauce recipe. The secret ingredient was minced carrots. Divine!

11/11/2006 9:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home