Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Seitan Portobella Stroganoff with Braised Kale


Wow! It's been a while since we've had stroganoff! This was such a great recipe from the Post Punk Kitchen. It was fun to make, and although it was a bit more time intensive than my usual weeknight dinners, it was worth it. Berkeley and Rob both loved it too. Well, Berkeley loves anything involving noodles. I was hoping he'd eat the peas, seitan, and mushrooms too. I think a few got in, but he mostly just had noodles. He did eat a bit of seitan at the end and said he liked it, but then wouldn't take anymore. In this pic you can see him carefully removing the pea from his noodle bite. Ha! This was the kid who ate peas almost every day of his life for months and months.

For the kale, I sauteed 3 minced garlic cloves in a couple tablespoons of olive oil, then added one bunch of washed, chopped kale and 3/4 cup vegetable broth. I turned it to low and cooked it for about 15 minutes. I think it was a bit overcooked; it probably should have only cooked for maybe 10 minutes so it wouldn't lose that nice bright green color.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you make your own Seitan, Amy? I need a good recipe for some or where to buy some? This looks great! GALE

10/26/2006 9:09 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

No, I haven't made my own yet. I just buy the kind from Wheatsville! I used two packs for this recipe, and it was plenty.

10/27/2006 2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home