Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dinner Menu for the Week of October 22

Sunday
Leftover Earthy Lentil Soup
Dessert: Peanut Butter Cups!

Tonight we'll finish off the lentil soup from last week, and for dessert I'm going to try to whip up a peanut butter mousse inspired by some fun Belgian chocolate dessert cups I found at World Market over the weekend. These cups are begging for some peanut butter!

Monday
Mock Crab Cakes with Lemony Quinoa

In honor of my parents vacationing in Baltimore this week, I'll serve up a veganized Maryland specialty--the crab cake. We lived in Maryland for 7 years when I was a child, and I grew up around these. The recipe uses peeled, shredded zucchini as the base, along with the appropriate spices. The lemony quinoa dish is based on one I had recently at Wheatsville, our local food co-op. They have an amazing deli, with a huge variety of veg dishes prepared daily.

Tuesday
Take Out Night

It's a busy evening, work-wise, so we'll have our takeout night early again this week.

Wednesday
Seitan Portobella Stroganoff with Braised Kale

Mmmmm...another recipe from The Post Punk Kitchen. I'm excited to try this one!

Thursday
Black Beans “Charros” with Cornbread

From Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian--one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, given to me by my friend Cyndi last year. In the book, Jaffrey details every grain and legume, giving recipes for their preparation from all over the world. Every recipe I have tried from this book has been savory and delicious (a credit to her, not to me)!

Friday
Grilled Kielbasa Sandwiches with Sauteed Red Potatoes, Onions, and Green Peppers

Talk about comfort food! We'll grill these Tofurky Kielbasas on our little grill outside, and I'll serve them on a roll with sauteed onions, peppers, and potatoes.

Saturday
Halloween Party: Hearty Autumn Stew

Our vegetarian mamas group will gather for a Halloween party and potluck this afternoon. The stew will be full of hearty fall fare, including sweet potatoes, kale, squash, and brown rice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home