Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Dinner Menu for the Week of October 29

Sunday
A friend's vegan fondue birthday party!

Our dear friend Rosie hosted us tonight in honor of her birthday. She made three fabulous vegan fondues. One was a nacho cheese-style dip with some spice to it, and one was a swiss cheese-style dip. These two were served with a variety of just-cooked veggies (carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms, snow peas) and chunks of bread for dipping. Both were delicious. I think I liked the nacho one the best (she made up that recipe), but the swiss was great too (that recipe was from The Nutritional Yeast Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak. For dessert, she made an amazing chocolate fondue dip with fresh and dried fruit and cookies for dipping. Mmmmm. Great idea for a party!

Monday
Dinner Out

We had our dinner out early again this week, due to a busy weekend preventing me from planning and shopping for the week's food.

Tuesday
Egyptian Lentils and Rice

One of my favorite crockpot dishes--easy, simple, and full of great flavor. I found in on a crockpot recipe site. I serve it with tahini sauce, diced romaine, and chopped tomatoes on top.

Wednesday
Autumn Quinoa Pilaf with Sauteed Greens

This dish is full of quinoa, butter beans, sweet potatoes, onions, celery, cranberries, pine nuts, and spices. It's very unique and nourishing, with a mild sweetness to it.

Thursday
Cheesy Lasagna

Lasagna tonight--a new recipe that I'm adapting from one found on VegWeb.com. I'm going to make double and bring some over to some friends who just had a baby. I remember the first night we came home from the hospital after my son was born, we ate a vegan lasagna my mom had made for us, and it was like the best meal we had ever consumed in our lives. Sooooo comforting. I hope this recipe is as good--it gets raves online.

Friday
Black Beans Charros with Cornbread

I meant to make this last week, but forgot to soak the beans ahead of time so we ate something else instead--I forget what! Anyway, it's the one from Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian, and I just love it.

Saturday
Leftover Potluck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home