Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Tofu Scramble with Hashbrowns and Fresh Fruit


Breakfast for dinner! This was a fun meal to make. Scrambles are so variable and easy, much like a stir fry.

I start by sauteeing some diced onion in olive oil, and then add whatever other fresh veggies I have on hand: diced carrots, kale, tomato, pepper...Once these are starting to soften, I add the tofu, which I have pressed ahead of time to remove extra moisture. I then either dice it up and throw it in, or (as in last night's version) I smash it up with my hands as I add it in, making it more of a scrambled egg texture. I then add some turmeric (mostly for color), some tamari, salt, pepper, and a handful of nutritional yeast, which add some richness. Stir it all together and continue to cook on medium heat until it starts to brown--you mainly want to cook most of the tofu moisture out of it, so it's not too mushy.

The hashbrowns were just diced russet potatoes sauteed in olive oil with salt and pepper, which cooked covered on low for 20 minutes or so. I also added some toast with Earth Balance spread, and a little fresh fruit.


I figured Berkeley might just eat the fruit and ignore the rest, but Rob managed to get him to eat everything! I think he bribed him with grapes (his favorite food right now) to eat a few tofu bites, and once he tasted it, he ate it on his own. And he loves potatoes now, especially if there is ketchup involved.

Here is Berkeley finishing off his meal with an orange slice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home