Every Sunday I'll post a list of my family's vegan dinner menus for the week, and throughout the week I may include some recipes and general thoughts about being vegan and parenting a toddler.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Thumbs up on last night's dinner...

The Lentil/Tomato pasta was well received by both husband and child...my son ate a huge bowl of it, and slept all night! (that is a rare occurence, and I think I'll attribute it to his hearty dinner.) He can be (like many 2-year-olds) a picky eater, so I have resorted to sneakiness at times to make sure he's getting all he needs. The hidden lentils are a great example, beacuse he just won't sit down and eat a nice bowl of lentils right now...but I'll keep trying.

Smoothies are another great way to pack a lot of healthy foods into a tasty package. I've had success with adding things like raw kale, steamed sweet potatoes, and/or steamed carrots to our regular base of non-dairy fortified milk, frozen bananas, and either juice or another fruit (strawberries or blueberries are the most popular). Blend it up, and he drinks it right down. I always add flax oil or ground flax seeds so he gets his Omega-3s. Almond butter (or another nut butter) is also a great addition to smoothies.

Off to make marinade...

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I don't have an exact recipe for the smoothies, but I always include about a cup of non-dairy milk, a tablespoon of flax oil, 1-2 tablespoons of nut butter (if I include it at all) and one frozen banana. Everything else is variable, according to your mood!

10/01/2006 7:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home